The oldest of three daughters of a Poway dentist, she was a kid who never had a cavity. Her parents remember how she often diligently brushed and flossed and of course, weren’t surprised when she’d say she would like to become a dentist.
After graduating from University of California at San Diego, with a degree in biology and minor in teaching, she got into her “dream school,” UCLA School of Dentistry, one of the nation’s most selective, top-tier dental schools. She showed her passion for helping others by working as an SAT-prep instructor and representing her class as the social chair. She was elected class president during her junior and senior years, and was selected to speak at graduation – a huge achievement for the student who, in third grade, was voted “Quietest Voice.”
She completed her orthodontic specialty training at St. Louis (Mo.) University under the guidance of Dr. Rolf Behrents. The research for her thesis became a study published after her residency in a 2009 issue of Angle Orthodontist. (You can read “Mandibular Rotation and Remodeling Changes during Early Childhood” here.)
Dr. Melanie opened one of the first orthodontics practices in 4S Ranch in Oct. 2007.
She is married to Dr. Jimmy Wang, a general dentist, and they have three children who all attend Del Sur Elementary. Dr. Melanie kids orthodontist has served as room parent for her child’s class, and she and Jimmy are proud Title sponsors of the school. When they aren’t at their offices or shuttling their kids around town, you can find them doing p90x, running or relaxing at the beach.
Her philosophy is simple: Take what you love and work tirelessly at it. That’s family, community, kids — and teeth!
- Invisalign® Premier Provider 2015 and 2016 (Top 5 percent of all Invisalign® providers)
- Voted Top Orthodontist in the UT San Diego Best readers poll 2012-2014
- Sponsor/Donor to the 4S Ranch Public Library, the Filipino Cultural Festival and youth teams playing 4S Ranch Soccer, 4S Ranch Little League Baseball, 4S Ranch Flag Football, 4S Ranch Basketball and Rancho Bernardo soccer
- Community speaker/event sponsor at local schools including Black Mountain Middle School, Chaparral Elementary, Del Sur Elementary, Del Norte High, Highland Ranch Elementary, Los Penasquitos Elementary, Maranatha Christian Schools, Mesa Verde Middle School, Monterey Ridge Elementary, Oak Valley Middle School, Solana Santa Fe Elementary, Stone Ranch Elementary, Turtleback Elementary, Twin Peaks Middle School, Westwood Elementary and Willow Grove Elementary
- Speaker, San Diego State “Catch the Wave to Success” pre-professional health conference 2008-2012
- Published author of “Mandibular Rotation and Remodeling Changes during Early Childhood,” Angle Orthodontist, March 2009
- Graduation Speaker, UCLA School of Dentistry
- West Los Angeles Dental Excellence Award
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Board of Orthodontics
- Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- California Association of Orthodontists